This topic explains the end-to-end workflow of mass deploying inSync client on user laptops.
About Integrated Mass Deployment
Integrated mass deployment (IMD) is an end-to-end process of automated deployment of inSync client in your organization. It includes automating the installation of inSync client on all user laptops as well as automating the process of creation of inSync users for your organization and activating the inSync client installed on user devices.
IMD is possible if:
- Your organization uses Active Directory to manage user access and authentication.
- Users in your organization use Windows or Mac laptops.
The integrated mass deployment workflow is as follows:
- As an inSync administrator, you create an AD mapping to define the filter parameters to extract user details from an AD. You also define the profile, storage, and quota that will be assigned to users that match the filter parameter.
- The inSync server, at the defined interval, queries the AD and caches details of all users that match the filter criteria.
- You install inSync client on user laptops using automated installation tools such as System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) for Windows and LANDesk management solution for Mac. The installed inSync clients are aware of how to connect to the inSync server.
- Your users log on to their laptops using their active directory credentials.
- The inSync client sends the user's credentials to the inSync server. The server searches its AD cache for the credential. If it finds a match, inSync account for the user is created and the inSync client is activated.
IMD configuration process
The following table describes the multi-step configuration process for integrated mass deployment of inSync client.
|Step 1|| |
Register the Active Directory from which you want to import user details. For instructions, see Registering an Active Directory.
Make sure that every user has their email address defined in the AD. inSync will not import users who do not have an email address defined in the AD.
|Step 2|| |
Create or identify a profile that will be assigned to the users who are imported from the AD. For instructions on creating a profile, see Creating a profile using the profile creation wizard.
When selecting the profile, adhere to the following guidelines:
|Step 3|| |
Create the AD Mapping required to import users from the AD. For instructions, see Creating an AD mapping.
For the AD mapping:
|Step 4||Configure the number of laptops that will be activated for a user through the IMD. For instructions, see Configure IMD settings.|
|Step 5||Generate a mass deployment token. For instructions, see Generating a mass deployment token.|
|Step 6||Install inSync client on user laptops using automated installation tools. For instructions, see Installing inSync client for IMD.|