About manually importing users from an AD
If you do not want to automatically import users from the Active Directory at regular intervals, you can create an AD mapping and manually trigger the import user process at suitable intervals.
When creating users by manually importing their details from an AD, you can configure the following properties:
- Login password: You can have the users use their AD password to log on to inSync client or inSync Web. Alternatively, you can have inSync generate unique passwords for the new users.
- Updating existing users: You can configure inSync to sync up with the AD at regular intervals and deactivate users who have been removed from the AD. Users will be updated everytime inSync queries the AD for new users.
The manual import configuration process
The following table describes the multi-step configuration process for manually importing user details from an AD at regular intervals.
|Step 1|| |
Register the Active Directory from which you want to import user details. For instructions, see Registering an Active Directory.
Make sure that every user has their email address defined in the AD. inSync will not import users who do not have an email address defined in the AD.
|Step 2|| |
Create or identify a profile that will be assigned to the users who are imported from the AD. For instructions on creating a profile, see Creating a profile using the profile creation wizard.
If you plan to use AD password for user login:
|Step 3|| |
Create the AD Mapping required to import users from the AD. For instructions, see Creating an AD mapping.
When creating the AD mapping, make sure you DO NOT select Auto import new users on the inSync Configuration page of the wizard.
|Step 4||Configure the frequency at which users will be imported or synced with the AD. For instructions, see Configuring the user import or sync frequency.|
|Step 5||When require, trigger the user import process. For instructions, see Initiating the user import process.|
Initiating the user import process
To initiate the user import process
- On the inSync Admin Console menu bar, click Manage > AD Mappings.
- Select the AD Mapping that you want to use for importing user details.
- Click Import New Users. The Import Users Now window appears.
- Select the users you want to import.
- Click Import Selected Users. The list of imported users is displayed.
- (Optional) Send activation emails to users or download their activation keys:
- To send activation email to users, select their names and click Send Keys by Email. Users who receive the activation email can install and activate inSync client on their devices.
- To download activation keys for users, select their names and click Save Keys. You have to activate inSync client for those users whose activation keys you have downloaded.
- Click Done.