As an inSync Cloud administrator, you can schedule either automatic backups or perform an on-demand backup, which is manual.
Backup of Team involves backup of Teams metadata and configuration, channel metadata and configuration. However, the Teams data that includes data/files/folders in Teams Site and email messages and conversations are backed up as a part of the scheduled backups of underlying applications: SharePoint Online. For more information about the Teams data backed up by inSync, see Data backed up by inSync for Teams.
Before you begin
Before you initiate a backup operation for Office 365 app data, ensure that:
- You go through the support matrix and inSync supported tasks for Office 365 app. See Introduction.
- You complete the required inSync configurations for Teams. For more information, see Configure inSync to protect Teams.
Sharepoint Auto discover and Auto assign storage settings must be enabled to backup Files in a Teams Channel.
Schedule automatic discovery of Teams and configure backup
You can schedule an automatic discovery and backup of Teams while configuring Teams. For more information, see Configure inSync to protect Teams.
On-demand or manual backup of Teams data
As an inSync Cloud administrator, you can start an unscheduled backup of the following as and when necessary:
Irrespective of the selection for backup mentioned previously, when you initiate a backup, the backup is triggered for the entire Teams.
Perform the following steps to initiate a manual backup for specific Teams using the Summary, Backups, or Activity Stream tab.
- On the inSync Management Console menu bar, click Data Sources > Cloud Apps. The Manage Cloud Apps page appears.
- Click Office 365. An overview page that provides a holistic view of all the configured Office 365 app appears.
- On the left-hand panel, click Teams.
- On the Manage Cloud Apps page, click Office 365 > Teams. A page that lists all the discovered Teams appears. By default, the status of all the discovered Teams is set as Not Configured. Assign storage to configure the discovered Teams for backup.
- To initiate a backup of the required Teams, click the Team name and click Backup Now. A confirmation message appears if the backup is initiated successfully.
Note: Due to a Microsoft limitation, Files and Wiki back up data are not displayed for Private Channel.
Let's take a look at an example of backed up Files, Wiki, and Conversations data displayed for Standard Channel as shown in the following screenshot:
Did you observe a mismatch in the date and timestamp of the selected Team Settings (Metadata) snapshot and its Channel (Files and Wiki) snapshots?
For example: As displayed in the screenshot, for Test_New_Team, the Teams Settings snapshot displays Feb 10 2020, 15:46 while the Test_New_Team channel (Files and Wiki) display Feb 09 2020 14:51.
Well, the mismatch in the date and timestamp is because when you initiate backup for a Team, in accordance with the underlying Microsoft Teams' architecture, backup is triggered for the corresponding SharePoint site within which these Files and Wiki data resides. The date and timestamp for Files and Wiki are of the latest snapshots when the last backup was initiated for the SharePoint site.
If you see the status as Never Backed Up for Teams' channel data, it means that the Teams Settings' backup is completed but the backup of underlying channels data (File, Wiki, and Conversations) is in progress. Once the SharePoint backup completes successfully, you may have to initiate another backup for Teams to view the Channel (Files and Wiki) backed up snapshots or restore points.
View backup summary for Teams.