With Governance, you can analyze and identify usage trends, globally search and filter files and folders across all devices, and set up real-time alerts to handle IT issues proactively.
As an inSync Cloud administrator, you can perform the following tasks pertaining to governance:
- Analyze current and future trends about the types of data that your users are backing up
- Search any file on Microsoft 365 app. See Enterprise search for backed up data
- Track the activities of inSync users and administrators
To learn more about inSync Governance, see Governance.
With legal hold, you can preserve user backup data and avoid data deletion. When you keep a user on legal hold, the backup data for that user is excluded from compaction. inSync does not delete the data that the user backs up from any user device. Administrators can analyze user data by using eDiscovery tools.
Legal hold feature can be used by both the cloud administrator and legal administrator. However, each role has restricted permissions and access. To learn more about the roles and responsibilities of the cloud administrator and legal administrator, see About Legal Hold.
Enable eDiscovery for Exchange Online data
As an inSync Cloud administrator, you can place legal holds on Exchange Online data, thereby reducing the amount of time that IT personnel spend manually collecting and managing data. You can then access the user's legal hold data from Microsoft 365 by using WebDAV.
If a user who has Exchange Online device is put on legal hold, the data is made available via WebDAV as follows:
- Exchange Online emails are available in .eml file format. The emails are grouped based on year > month > day for accessibility.
- Exchange Online calendar is available in .ics file format.
- Exchange Online contacts are available as .vcf file format.
- Exchange Online notes are available in .eml file format.
- Exchange Online tasks are available in the .json file format.
You can also see the distribution of the data depending on where the data resides at the Data by Source area at the Governance page. For more information, see the Data Insights page.
To enable eDiscovery for Exchange Online data, execute the following steps: