inSync extends its data availability and governance capabilities to cloud apps, starting with Microsoft Office 365.
As a cloud administrator, you can configure inSync to integrate with Office 365. This integration lets you follow and govern user data - across endpoints such as laptops and mobile, and in cloud applications.
inSync uses the email address of inSync users to map the users to their Microsoft Office 365 account.
inSync uses either of the following information to map the users to their Microsoft Office 365 account
- Email address of inSync users
- User Principal Name (UPN) from a configured Active Directory.
To configure the user account access settings, see Configure user account access settings.
Cloud Apps backup data is not a part of individual user's quota. To know what is a user quota, see Assign user quota for data backup.
What all Office 365 data can you back up and restore?
Once inSync integrates with Office 365, you can back up the following items:
- Data from OneDrive.
- Data from SharePoint sites.
- Data from Exchange Online such as:
- Mailbox (for the individual user and shared)
- Calendar events
- Notes: Entire notes folder within the Exchange Online server mailbox of a user
- Tasks within the Exchange Online server mailbox of a user
Within your tasks folder, you can back up the following:
- All tasks folders' data irrespective of their status or categorization such as Active, Overdue, Complete.
- Messages that are flagged as important
- Task attributes such as start and due date, status, subject, priority, and reminder
- Attachments associated with the tasks such as OneDrive, Group Files, Links, Outlook attachments, and files uploaded from a device.
Note: Only the Notes generated from Outlook client will be backed up as a folder under “Mails” within Exchange Online.
Prerequisites for backing up and restoring Office 365 data
In addition to the prerequisites for backing up cloud apps data, ensure that you have the following:
- You have an Office 365 Global administrator account with a valid Office 365 license.
- You have configured inSync to integrate with Office 365. For more information, see How to configure inSync with Office 365?
How to back up and restore Office 365 data?
To integrate inSync with OneDrive, Exchange Online and SharePoint Online in Office 365, execute the following steps:
- Configure the inSync app to integrate with Office 365.
- Back up Office 365 data, by creating a profile or updating an existing profile.
- Restore Office 365 data, at the user's desktop or a custom location of your choice.
- Enable eDiscovery for cloud apps data.
You can then perform either of the following tasks: