You can download legal hold data using inSync Direct Download utility in three following steps:
- Download CSV containing details of users on legal hold and their WebDAV details
- Download inSync Direct Download utility
- Run inSync Direct Download utility to download data of users on legal hold
Download CSV containing user details
This procedure provides the steps to download the CSV which contains WebDAV details of users placed on legal hold. inSync Direct Download utility uses this CSV to download user data.
To download the CSV containing user details
- On the inSync Management Console menu bar, click Governance > Legal Hold.
All the existing legal hold policies are displayed.
- Click the legal hold policy for which you want to download WebDAV data. The details of the legal hold are displayed.
- Click Direct Download CSV.
- In the Direct Download CSV window, the list of all the users who associated with the legal hold is displayed.
- Select the custodians for which you want to download WebDAV data.
Selected users are listed under Selected Custodians tab.
- Click the Selected Users tab to see the list of selected users. Verify the users for which you want to download WebDAV data.
Remove unwanted users by clicking on their name.
- Click Download.
- Select the desired location on your computer, where you want to save the WebdavDirectDownload.csv, and click Save.
- Download and open the .csv file to view the legal hold user details.
WebdavDirectDownload.csv contains the following details that inSync Direct Download utility uses to download WebDAV data.
|User Email id||Email address of the user put on legal hold.|
|WebDAV URL||WebDAV URL for each device of the user.|
|Device Name||Name of the user’s device.|
|Data Size (bytes)||Size of the Last Backup data on the user device in bytes.|
Source of the data from where it was backed up.
inSync – Data is collected from user’s device, on which inSync is installed.
Cloud apps – Data is collected from user’s cloudapp account configured to backup using inSync.
Additional WebDAV property
Additional WebDAV properties for the user, if any.
Applicable only for Cloud apps.
Note: The contents of the CSV downloaded using the above procedure are critical for the inSync Direct Download utility. Hence, Druva recommends that you to refrain from affecting any edits to the downloaded CSV file. To capture profile and other updates in the CSV file, download the CSV file again.
Download inSync Direct Download utility
Download the latest inSync Direct Download utility using the steps described below. Some of the new parameters introduced for the utility may not work with the older versions of the utility.
To download inSync Direct Download utility:
- On the inSync Management Console menu bar, click Governance > Legal Hold. All the existing legal hold policies are displayed.
- Click the Legal hold policy for which you want to download inSync Direct Download utility. Summary tab for the selected policy is displayed.
- Click Data Access tab.
- Under WebDAV Access Details, click the Click here link in front of inSync Direct Download. The inSync Direct Download webpage opens.
The webpage displays download options of the following operating systems for 64-bit systems:
Windows versions 7, 8, 8.1,10
Mac OS versions 10.9, 10.10,10.11, 10.12
Ubuntu versions 14.04, 15.04, 16.04, 17.04
Cent OS 6.6, 7.1
- Click the correct Download option based on your OS. The utility gets downloaded to your system.
Note: The utility supports only 64-bit client systems.
Run the inSync Direct Download utility
Use your cloud administrator or legal administrator credentials to run this utility.
Before you begin
Perform the following pre-checks before you run the utility:
- Ensure you have the latest version of the utility.
- Make sure the download location has enough free space to accommodate the data. Accurate check works only if the latest restore point is set as access type.
- Leave some free space for the database files and the logs files that are created in the download location.
- To resume an interrupted download:
- Use the same CSV used previously.
- The CSV file location and the download location for WebDAV data must be same, as specified in the earlier request.
- Ensure robust network connectivity if you use Network Attached Storage (NAS) as a download location. Weak network may result in download failures.
- If Safari browser was used to download the utility, remove the .dms extension attached to the utility name. Safari automatically attaches the extension during the download; however, the utility must be run without any extension.
Download WebDAV data
- Open a terminal or command prompt on your system.
- If you are using Linux or Mac, you must set appropriate file permissions, so that you can execute the inSync Direct Download utility.
For example: chmod a+x Users/Ernie/Downloads/inSyncDirectDownload
- If you are using Mac, set the ulimit value to 1024 with the following command.
ulimit -n 1024
- Navigate to folder where the inSync Direct Download utility is downloaded and run the following command specific to your OS.
On Linux and Mac:
./inSyncDirectDownload -u <admin email id> -p <inSync API token> -l <location for downloading the data> -c <absolute path of the csv file>
inSyncDirectDownload.exe -u <admin email id> -p <inSync API token> -l <location for downloading the data> -c <absolute path of the csv file>
- Do not make any changes (such as changing name of the legal hold policy, changing access type of the legal hold policy, changing user/device name for which data is being downloaded, or any other changes) to the legal hold policy when the data download is in progress.
- Do not modify or delete database files created in the download location by the tool.
Specify the email address of the Cloud or Legal Administrator running the inSync Direct Download utility.
Use the email ID of the administrator that was used to generate the API token.
Specify the location (absolute path) where the WebDAV data should be downloaded. You can specify a local computer or a file server as your download location.
Specify the absolute path of the WebdavDirectDownload CSV, downloaded earlier.
Verify the version of the inSync Direct Download utility.
Specify the API token generated by the inSync Cloud or Legal Administrator running the inSync Direct Download utility.
Note: If you generate a new API token, the previous API token expires.
Specify this argument to run the WebDAV download process in the background. This argument is applicable only on Linux and Mac OS.
Specify this argument if you want to download only metadata.
Specify the HTTPS proxy details with this argument. Not necessary if proxy is not configured in your environment.
-x https://<username>:<password>@<proxy ip>:<proxy port>
In the following examples, the default location of inSync Direct Download utility is assumed as follows:
- The commands are run from the folder where the inSync Direct Download utility is saved.
- admin email id: email@example.com
- API Token: 452-f529091eb359e82de8cbb35440a4427583c0e1489b467a603a67279a91f16506
- Data download location on Mac or Linux: /Users/Ernie/Documents/Legal_Hold_Case_September2016
- Data download location on Windows: C:\Users\Ernie\Documents\Legal_Hold_Case_September2016
To find the version of inSync Direct Download utility:
On Linux and Mac OS:
On Windows OS:
To download WebDAV data:
On Linux and Mac OS:
./inSyncDirectDownload –u firstname.lastname@example.org -p admin123 -l /Users/Ernie/Documents/Legal_Hold_Case_September2016 –c /Users/Ernie/Downloads/WebdavDirectDownload.csv
On Windows OS:
inSyncDirectDownload.exe –u email@example.com -p admin123 -l C:\Users\Ernie\Documents\Legal_Hold_Case_September2016 –c C:\Users\Ernie\Downloads\WebdavDirectDownload.csv
To download WebDAV data in an environment with proxy configured where:
On Linux and Mac OS:
./inSyncDirectDownload –u firstname.lastname@example.org -p admin123 -l /Users/Ernie/Documents/Legal_Hold_Case_September2016 –c /Users/Ernie/Downloads/WebdavDirectDownload.csv -x https:\\OfficeProxy:email@example.com:251
On Windows OS:
inSyncDirectDownload.exe –u firstname.lastname@example.org -p admin123 -l C:\Users\Ernie\Documents\Legal_Hold_Case_September2016 –c C:\Users\Ernie\Downloads\WebdavDirectDownload.csv -x OfficeProxy:email@example.com:251
See WebDAV Direct Download directory structure and .csv file properties section for information on the downloaded files. The progress and error logs display and store the following information when you run the utility:
- User ID of the user on legal hold whose data is downloaded
- Device ID or cloud app name in case of cloud apps devices
- WebDAV url of the device data from where the data will be downloaded
- Date and time stamp of each download performed by the utility
- Progress status of each download
- Device ID for which an errors is logged.
- WebDAV url of the device for which there was error in download.
- Retrying interval in seconds, when the earlier attempt to download has failed
- Date and time stamps as data download errors
Verify data download status of inSync Direct Download utility
To verify the data download status, check the "inSyncDirectDownload Completed" and "inSyncDirectDownload Aborted" log messages for completed and aborted downloads respectively