As a cloud administrator, you can mandate SD card backup from Android devices. When you mandate to back up the SD card contents, you can:
- Mandate the backup of user data that is present on SD card.
- Add folders to the external SD card on Android device and enable the folder for backup.
- Allow users to restore entire backed up data or specific backed up folders to SD card.
- Download the data that is backed up from the SD card.
- This feature is supported on Android devices running on Android OS 3.0.x or later.
- You can select mandatory folders for mobile backup through profiles. You cannot do this on an individual user level.
- When a cloud administrator initiates the restore, the content that is backed up from SD card will be restored at the inSyncData folder on the device's internal storage, and not at the SD card.
For more information about the Android folder hierarchy and which folders to select for backup, see Android folder hierarchy.
To mandate backup of SD card data on Android devices
- On the inSync Master Management Console menu bar, click Profiles.
- Click the link of the profile for which you want to select mandatory folders for mobile backup.
- On the Devices tab, click Smartphones and Tablets > Edit. The Edit Device Backup Configuration window appears.
- Select the Allow access from mobile devices check box.
If you want to allow users to log on by using only the inSync for MobileIron app from iOS devices, select the Allow users to log on only through the inSync MDM app check box.
- Select the Enable mobile backup check box.
- Click the Android tab.
- In the Mandated Backup Content area, provide the appropriate information for each field.
- If you want to select mandatory folders for Android devices, click +Add Folder, and then select the folders.
- In the Folder to be backed up field, enter the relative path of the folder to be backed up from the SD card. For example, /Download.
Note: The folder name is case-sensitive.
- In the Backup folder name box, inSync automatically assigns the folder name that you specified in Folder to be backed up box. To change the folder name, type a name for the backup folder.
Note: If there is an existing folder with the same name, then inSync updates the folder name to New Folder and appends the number to the folder. For example, New Folder 1.
- Select the Include data from external SD card also check box if you want to back up specific folders from the external SD card, which is a removable storage.
- If you want to allow mobile app users to add additional content for backup, select the Allow users to add content, modify schedule & resource settings check box.
- In the Backup every list, select the frequency of the scheduled SD card backup.
Note: The default backup interval is 8 hours.
- If you want to back up the SD card contents mobile data network if WiFi is not available, select Use data network if WiFi is not available check box. To back up SD card contents over a WiFi network only, clear the check box.
- Click Save.