As an administrator, you can add a group of users at one go using the CSV file. A CSV file enables you to provide details that are required for creating users in inSync. This method should be preferred over adding individual users to save time and efforts involved.
Guidelines for creating the CSV file
Download a sample CSV file from the Import Users window. See Procedure below for instructions.
If you are using the sample CSV file, open it in a spreadsheet application, replace the sample usernames and emails with your organization's usernames and emails, and then upload the modified file.
If you want to create a CSV file using a text editor, follow these guidelines:
- The first line in the CSV file should be Username, Email. The entry in the first line is not imported.
- Use one of the following formats to define the username: John Doe, "John Doe", or "Doe, John". Do not use Doe, John (a comma separating the name, but without the double quotes) to define the username.
- Make sure that the CSV file does not contain non-breaking spaces (Unicode U+00A0).
- Use ASCII characters in the CSV file. If you must use non-ASCII characters, make sure you use UTF-8 encoding while saving the CSV file.
Before you begin
Before you add users by importing information from a CSV file, ensure the following:
- You or an administrator created the profile that you want to assign to the user.
- You created the storage where you want inSync to back up the user data.
A CSV file containing the display names of the users and their corresponding email addresses is created.
To create users by importing a CSV file
- On the inSync Management Console menu bar, click Users.
- Click Import > Import Users from CSV. The Import Users window appears.
- Download a sample CSV file. Add details to it as explained in the Guidelines section and save it.
- Click Browse and then select the CSV file that contains user information. inSync processes the file and lists all the users in a tabular format.
- Select the users which you want to import for now and click Next.
- On the Attach Profile and Storage window, provide the following information.
Field Action Profile Select the profile that you want to assign to the selected users. Storage
Select the storage region where you want inSync to backup the user data.
Endpoint quota Type or select the storage quota that you want to assign to the users.
- Click Import.
- (Optional) Send activation emails to users or download their activation keys.
- If you want to send activation email to users, select the user names and then click Send Passwords Activation Email.
- If you want to download activation keys for users, select their user names and click Save Keys.
- Click Done.
- Users who receive the activation email can install and activate inSync Client on their devices.
- Users for whom you choose to download activation keys, you must download, install, and activate inSync Client on their devices. For more information, see Activate inSync on user devices.
- You can also choose to not send activation emails or download activation keys for the users you selected.
- You can also choose to install and activate inSync Client at a later time.