Administrators manage inSync. You can assign a role to each administrator that you create in inSync. An administrative role is a collection of individual rights. A right grants the ability to control administrator access to the inSync Management Console and the ability to perform tasks on the inSync Management Console.
Note: We have introduced a granular set of administrative rights for the inSync administrators. When you upgrade from your previous inSync version, the profile administrators will map to the new Profile Admin role. Additionally, the predefined rights assigned to the new Profile Admin role automatically apply to the upgraded profile administrator.
Types of administrative roles
inSync includes predefined roles that contain the rights required to perform tasks on the inSync Management Console. You can assign these predefined roles to administrators or you can create your own roles by combining selected rights.
Note: You can only create Cloud admin role in the Business edition.
The following table lists the types of administrator roles available in inSync.
There are six predefined roles available with inSync.
For information on how you can create predefined roles, see Create a predefined role.
You can create custom roles depending on your organization’s needs.
For information on how you can create custom roles, see Create a custom role.
- A role is a set of tasks that administrators can perform based on the rights assigned to them. Each role contains a set of categories, and each category contains a set of granular rights that an administrator can perform. For example, an administrator with the Manage users and devices right can disable users and devices, change storage assigned to a user, reset the password for a user, change quota for the user.
- Only the Cloud administrators have access to the Administrators page on the inSync Master Management Console. This page is not visible to the other administrators.
- When you configure the inSync Management Console, six predefined roles appear on the Administrators and Roles page.
- You can assign only one role to an administrator. However, you can assign multiple administrators to one role.
- When you create a role, you can import rights from a predefined role or you can create a new custom role without importing rights from any role. When you import a role, the predefined rights are imported with the role. However, you cannot import rights from the Legal Admin and Cloud Admin roles.
- You cannot edit or delete the Cloud Admin and Legal Admin roles. You can edit or delete all other predefined and custom roles.
Predefined administrator roles
The following table lists the predefined administrator roles for each inSync edition.
|Administrator Role||Available in...||Description|
An administrator assigned to this role can perform all core inSync activities such as configuring, managing, and monitoring inSync. A cloud administrator can create and manage other administrators. Only cloud administrators can manage a cloud administrator.
Only cloud administrators can configure a compliance policy. They can also place and view users on legal hold.
|Data Protection admin||
An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to manage data privacy and data access settings for the inSync users.
The Data Protection administrator cannot place or view users on legal hold.
|Help Desk admin||
An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to manage day- to-day activities such as performing backup and restore operations, resetting password for the users, and addressing user complaints.
The Help Desk administrator cannot place or view users on legal hold.
An administrator assigned to this role can perform activities related to legal hold, such as creating and deleting legal hold policies, viewing users who are on legal hold, adding and removing users from legal hold, viewing and accessing backed up data.
An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to manage users and devices, and backups and restores.
Profile administrators can access the Non-Compliance report only for the profiles that they are mapped to. However, they cannot view the compliance summary at the Compliance Dashboard, or configure a compliance policy.
Additionally, profile administrators cannot place or view users on legal hold.
|View Only admin||
An administrator assigned to this role has restricted access associated with their profiles. They have the necessary permissions to view the inSync settings and user details. They also have access to inSync reports.
The View Only administrator cannot place or view users on legal hold.